About the work place
The University of Gävle has the vision to be the first choice for everyone who wants to make a difference. We offer about 60 educational programs and 300 independent courses in the fields of humanities, caring and medical sciences, social and natural sciences, and technology. The University of Gävle is one of Sweden's most popular university colleges in terms of the number of applicants. We have 16 000 students, 750 employees, and a one-site campus in beautiful surroundings.
For more information: http://www.hig.se
För mer information: http://www.hig.seArbetsuppgifter:
Work-related tasks and responsibilities:
The Department of Building Engineering, Energy Systems, and Sustainability Science at the University of Gävle seeks for a PhD student to conduct scientific research on cross-laminated timber structures. The overall aim with the project is to improve the competitive advantages of cross-laminated timber-based buildings through technical analysis and design and also reduced carbon emissions.
Postgraduate subject: Energy system
The project will focus on structural, energy, and environmental aspects of cross-laminated timber structures. The research will be performed through experimental and numerical studies. The PhD student is expected to write a doctoral thesis equivalent to 180 credits and publish high quality articles in international journals. The PhD student's total duration of the PhD study is five years, taking into account 20% of the time for teaching.
The PhD student position mainly includes:
- conducting the scientific project,
- completing courses corresponding to at least 60 credits,
- teaching and carrying out administrative work,
- and regularly taking part in faculty activities such as seminars and meetings.
The tasks include some teaching in basic and advanced level courses. Some administrative tasks may also occur. The employment is full-time up to five years and the workplace is Gävle.
- the opportunity to do a PhD study at one of Sweden's most beautiful universities,
- an obligatory individual study plan to support your individual development,
- a workplace with many employment benefits and a monthly salary according to the University's agreement for PhD student salaries,
- and postgraduate education at a university that actively works with issues such as our common working environment, clear working conditions, as well as gender equality and equal conditions.
To be admitted to the doctoral program, the applicant must meet both basic and special eligibility requirements (Higher Education Ordinance, Chapter 7, § 35).
In order to achieve the basic eligibilities for doctoral-level studies, the applicant is required to have completed a second-cycle (advanced level) degree, or to have completed course requirements of at least 240 higher education credits, of which at least 60 higher education credits are at the advanced level, or who have acquired equivalent knowledge in some other way in Sweden or in another country.
Applicants who have a masters degree in structural engineering, earthquake engineering, civil engineering, energy systems, or other specialisation that the employer finds equivalent have special qualifications for admission to the doctoral program in energy systems (postgraduate subject). Qualification is also for those applicants who have another degree at the advanced level, with at least 60 higher education credits in a relevant area for postgraduate education.
The ability to express oneself well in English, both orally and in writing, is a requirement.
Admission and assessment criteria
In order to be admitted to the doctoral program, the applicant must be assessed as having the ability to assimilate the program (Higher education Ordinance, Chapter 7, § 35). Admission takes place after individual examination.
Particular emphasis in the assessment will be placed on:
- competence and experience in numerical analysis and laboratory work,
- and experience of writing scientific publications.
To succeed in your doctoral studies at the University of Gävle, you need to be goal-oriented in your work. When selecting the applicants, the following abilities are assessed:
- independently drive their work forward,
- be able to collaborate with others,
- have a professional approach,
- analyse and work with complex issues,
- and the ability to discuss and explain research to people who are not active in their own subject.
Information on admission and employment
After admission to the postgraduate education, a position as a PhD student will be offered (Higher Education Ordinance, Chapter 5, § 3). The employment is a fixed-term full-time employment (only one year which can then be extended by a maximum of two years at a time).
The total employment period may not be longer than the equivalent of full-time postgraduate education for four years. An employed PhD student can to a limited extent (maximum 20%) perform certain tasks within for example education and administration.
You apply via the University's recruitment system Visma recruit. As an applicant, you have the main responsibility for ensuring that your application is complete when it is submitted.
The application must have the following content:
- CV with relevant professional experience and knowledge,
- Application letter with a brief account of why you want to pursue postgraduate studies, about your academic interests, and how they relate to your previous studies and future goals. (Max 2 pages),
- Copies of diplomas and grades from previous university studies and certificates of fulfilled language requirements (see above). Translations into English or Swedish if the original document is not issued in one of these languages,
- Representative publications or technical reports. For longer documents, feel free to attach an abstract and a web link to the full text.
The University of Gävle strives for an even gender distribution and active work with equal conditions in all parts of the organisation.
Prior to this recruitment, the University of Gävle has taken a position on recruitment channels and marketing options. We therefore avoid contact with media sales and the like.
This ad is published in both Swedish and English. In the event of any linguistic differences, it is the Swedish advertisement that constitutes the original.
Anställningsform: Tidsbegränsad anställning
Antal platser: 1
Sista ansökningsdag: 2021-03-21
Arbetsgivarens referensnummer: HIG-STÖD 2020/606
Telefon: 026-64 87 91
Telefon: 026-64 85 00 vxl
Telefon: 026-64 85 00 vxl
Telefon: 026-64 85 00 vxl